Thursday 27 March 2014

Fixing mesh

I was going to define the details on the claws in Zbrush or Mudbox but then I thought I should at least get the basic shape done in Maya so it's easier when I export it to Mudbox.
Then I ran the 'cleanup', I told it to highlight faces so I could go in and fix them myself instead of getting weird cuts. I had to fix the claws they had faces with more than 4 sides.I then subdivided the mesh and got it ready for export but before that I ran a 'cleanup' again and told it to fix various mesh related problems such as concave faces, non-planner faces and the result is below.

If you look carefully you'll see that near one of the legs the faces are cut weirdly and it just doesn't look right, To fix that I tried deleting the whole edge and firstly, it wouldn't let me select the whole edge so I had to manually go over each of the edge lines and select them, secondly after deleting it i had to insert a edge loop where theses ziz-zags were but then I had to delete all the faces that were connected to that edge cause it wasn't clean. After deleting them I had to use the merge vertex tool to connect them all. Then I ran another clean up and and took it to Mudbox, but here I kept running into the 't-shape' error so I had to go back to Maya and fix some faces. The feet/claws were looking messy and so I tried cleaning the area up but that wasn't really possible, after a lot of attempts at finding the errors I realized that there was no need to subdivide before I took it to Mudbox because I could always do that later. I knew something like this would happen this is why I had multiple saves so I could revert back to any stage of the modeling process. I found a save where the model didn't have feet and wasn't subdivide, and I started working on the feet, this time after seeing a demonstration on how to make clean extrusions of the faces on the feet to make fingers; I was able to get cleaner geometry around the claws/feet and you can see that below.
Also cleaned up all the mess near the opening of the mouth and deleted a lot of unnecessary geometry all around the model. Finally it was time to UV map the whole model.

No comments:

Post a Comment